Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 2001 chev. tahoe was broken into and the ignition switch

Customer Question

My 2001 chev. tahoe was broken into and the ignition switch was broken, trying to replace it but cannot get old tumblers out for replacment.
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: cannot get the lock tab depressed, cannot get the shroud off to see behind the lock assembly.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just how do I replace the tumbler assembly..
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 21 days ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 21 days ago.

the ignition lock cylinder will not release out of the outer lock case ?

are you able to turn the ignition lock cylinder at all ?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
everything works but they broke off the thumbwheel. and the tumblers don't turn as easy as before but they do work.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
What all has to be removed to access the tumblers and depress the tab at the lower part of the key assembly.
Expert:  Gary replied 21 days ago.

the ignition lock key head which is part of the lock is blocking the top plastic cover from coming off ?

Expert:  Gary replied 21 days ago.

what you need to do is remove the 2 under screws holding the top cover on so the top cover is loose then with a smaller allen wrench lift up and slide your hand into the top area of the lock case and put the ignition switch into the RUN position then push down that hole with the small allen wrench to release the lock cylinder as it will pull out when released

# 1 in the first picture is the access hole

second picture show the 2 screws holding the top cover on you need to remove

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer