Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Im having a problem finding the serial number for the Vortec

Customer Question

im having a problem finding the serial number for the Vortec V6 in my s10, i do not know where it is located,
JA: What year is your S10?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: kind of im trying to get the warranty for the motor, since the lifters collapsed and the motor is only about 2 years old. ive looked every where, all i could fine was the crankcase number, and i was told that wasnt it, it suppose to be cut into the block not cast into it.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: The body is 154,000 and the motor is 25,000. automatic transmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The s10 is a ZR2 model
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

Engine can also be identified by engine identification (ID) number. Number is ***** on front of cylinder block, immediately forward of right cylinder head or on left side of cylinder block, on engine-to-transmission mating flange.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

If the number is ***** on the front flange and it should be there, perhaps someone did like they did on my engine and when they shaved the block surface, they machined them right off and didn't bother to make a note of them and stamp then back in after the machine work.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 28 days ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit. If you are texting from a cellphone you must scroll all the way back up to the top to see the rating button.