Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

My daughter has a 2011 aveo and there is oil int the

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2011 aveo and there is oil int the coolant
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 3 months ago
JA: Are you fixing your Aveo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I know this looks common I see that there's a lot of forms online about this particular problem is there any recalls and what causes this problem because usually when it's a head gasket it's coolant in the oil but it is very bizarre it's opposite and she has no symptoms of a head gasket being blown
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Do these questions cause money and that's about it I'm just in dire need because this is going to be phenomenal and pricing and I just don't have it
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 24 days ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 24 days ago.

I do not see any recalls or service bulletins for this condition concerning a head gasket.

However, there is a bulletin for a possible issue with the coolant and transmission fluid mixing. Check the atf and make sure it's full if possible. It's quite likely there isn't any sign of a head gasket problem because the head gasket's not the problem. It may be mixing atf in the radiator. This will lead to transmission issues, and a code and possible speedometer not working issues as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Her car runs good what's the cost run on a fix like that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 24 days ago.

Looks like the radiator is close to $400 and 2 hours labor if you have the dealer do it, plus coolant. You will also need the transmission fluid flushed as well. I would ballpark this at about $600-$700 repair.

An independent shop could likely do it for less.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 24 days ago.

Please let me know if there is more I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer, thanks so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 21 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?