GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2003 Avalanche - ABS, check engine light, brake lights come

Customer Question

2003 Avalanche - ABS, check engine light, brake idiot lights come on. engine loses power, transmission acts up have to pump accel to bring power back, door locks locking and unlocking. sometimes when stopped the engine will stop, but will start right back up. (I used to get engine temp light, but not anymore.) seems to only happen when engine temp is up.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Flucuatates
JA: Are you fixing your Avalanche yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, checked grounds and connections, ABS sensors
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you had the fault codes pulled on the vehicle? I believe that this will be necessary to continue diagnosis.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've had it to Auto Zone twice and no codes show up. I'll try to borrow it tomorrow and see if I could take it for a short drive. It seems as if the codes disappear after turning off the ignition. I don't know if it is normal, but I tried pulling the ABS fuse in the fuse panel under the hood and nothing changes, I am even getting the ABS and Brake Idiot lights and the "Service Brake System" message.
Bill

The codes clearing with the ignition off is a definite possibility. I think a test drive with the scanner will be your best bet at retrieving the codes. I will be ready to assist you when we you can get the fault codes.