Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I have a 2008 chev malibu 3.5 vin (N) 198024 miles fuel

Customer Question

I have a 2008 chev malibu 3.5 vin (N) 198024 miles fuel pressure approx 58lbs code s p0010 and p0118 alternator has been tested as good. The problem is the gas pedal is dead the car idles at about 1500 rpm pushing the gas pedal makes no difference at all. I replaced the pedal with a used pedal it didn't change anything. I am a used car dealer with my own shop I have not dealt with this problem before.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this the 3.6 liter or 3.5 liter engine in this model here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3.5
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

If you clear out these codes do they both come back/reset again with this issue?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have cleared it at least 3 times nothing has changed
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,looking into the codes now will post back here shortly.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

P0010 is cam shaft actuator solenoid control circuit fault.Below is the diagnostic procedure that needs followed to diagnose and locate the fault for this code.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0010
- Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

Circuit/System Description

The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to the camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP) . The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The ECM sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to the CMP actuator by extending a pintle within the solenoid. The pintle acts against a spool valve in the CMP actuator mechanism which is attached to the front of the camshaft. As the spool valve is moved, oil is directed to the CMP actuator, which rotates the camshaft. The CMP actuator can change the cam angle a maximum of 27 degrees.

Conditions for Running the DTC

* The ignition is in Crank or Run.
* The system voltage is between 11-18 volts.
* DTC P0010 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects that the state of the driver and the state of the circuit do not match. The ECM will detect an open, short to ground, or a short to voltage on the high control circuit or an open on the low reference circuit for more than 6.25 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

* DTC P0010 is a Type B DTC.
* The CMP actuator is commanded to the home or parked position.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTC P0010 is a Type B DTC.

Circuit/System Verification

Important: The supply of clean pressurized engine oil to the CMP actuator is essential to CMP actuator performance.

1. Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
2. Set the parking brake and place the vehicle in park for automatic, or neutral for manual.
3. Observe the CMP variance parameter. The CMP Variance will rise for 1-2 seconds until the CMP Angle parameter matches the Desired CMP parameter. The CMP Variance should again return to 0 degrees.

Important: The engine will run rough and may require throttle input to keep running.

4. Command the CMP actuator to 20 degrees. The Desired CMP parameter should match the CMP Angle parameter.

Circuit/System Testing

Important: You must complete the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the CMP actuator solenoid harness connector at the CMP actuator solenoid.
2. Test for less than 1 ohm between the low reference circuit and ground.

◊If greater than 1 ohm, test the low reference for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal replace the ECM.

3. Connect a test lamp between the high control circuit and the low reference circuit.
4. Command the CMP actuator solenoid ON and OFF. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between commanded states.

◊If the test lamp is always ON, test the high control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal replace the ECM.

◊If test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground, an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal replace the ECM.

5. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator solenoid.

Component Testing

Static Test

Important: Ensure that the component is tested at 20°C (68°F).

2. Test for 4.6-5.2 ohms between the high control and the low reference of the CMP actuator solenoid.

◊If the resistance is not within the specified range, replace the CMP actuator solenoid.

Dynamic Test

Important: Do not allow the solenoid to be energized for more than 2 seconds.

1. Install fused jumper wire between the high control and 12 volts. Install a jumper wire between the low reference and momentarily connect to ground.
2. Point the CMP actuator solenoid towards a shop towel. Observe the operation of the solenoid immediately extends.

◊If the function does not perform as specified, replace the CMP actuator solenoid.

P0118 is a fault with the engine coolant temp sensor.Below is the diagnostic procedure for this code.I can say usually it is the thermostat that needs replaced but in this case it may be the engine coolant temp sensor itself.

DTC P0118
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Circuit/System Description

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a variable resistor that measures the temperature of the engine coolant. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the ECT sensor signal circuit and supplies a ground for the low reference circuit.

Conditions for Running the DTC

P0117
* The engine run time is greater than 10 seconds.
OR
The ignition is ON and the IAT parameter is colder than 90°C (194°F).
* The DTC runs continuously when one of the above conditions is met.

P0118
* The engine is running for greater than 10 seconds.
OR
The ignition is ON and the IAT parameter is warmer than 0°C (32°F).

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0117

The ECM detects that the ECT sensor parameter is warmer than 149°C (300°F) for greater than 5 seconds.

P0118

The ECM detects that the ECT sensor parameter is colder than -39°C (-38°F) for greater than 5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0117 and P0118 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTC P0117 and P0118 are Type B DTCs.

Circuit/System Verification

1. Ignition ON, observe the ECT Sensor parameter. The reading should be between -37 to +139°C (-35 to +282°F).
2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the ECT sensor.
2. Ignition OFF for 90 seconds, test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal A and ground.

◊If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

3. Ignition ON, verify the scan tool ECT parameter is colder than -39°C (-38°F).

◊If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit terminal B for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

4. Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal B and the low reference circuit terminal A. Verify the scan tool ECT parameter is greater than 149°C (300°F).

◊If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

5. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the ECT sensor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not know of a 3.5 having a camshaft actuator solenoid a 3.6 has it on both sides. That is some of the problems I am having solving this I am less concerned with the codes I just want the pedal to work
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

This model does use a cam actuator solenoid which is located as #1 in the diagram below.This is for the 3.5 liter engine your model has which is also the LZ4 engine code.If this sensor is acting up the computer can disable the throttle in some cases which is what is occuring here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zubdiydf8uvekd5/act-11-07.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you send me the picture to my email I can't get it on my phone?***@******.***
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately this is the only place I can post the picture myself here.Are you able to access it from a PC at all or lap top?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have one here at the shop
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,you will probably have to access it that way.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The image I am seeing is a 3 wire magnetic sensor in the valley on the front of the engine. If that is it I already changed it before contacting you. If not please help guide me to it. My internet is coming and going today
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

That should be the one.Since it is a circuit fault code I would check the wiring and connection leading to the sensor/solenoid to see if any damage is found.If this is found to be o.k. then the diagnostic procedure above will need followed to locate and pinpoint the issue here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That procedure is entirely too complicated and confusing for me
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately this is the procedure that needs followed to locate and repair this issue here.Would you like me to open your question for others to see if any one else can assist further here?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please I need to get this fixed
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am no better off than I was before we started am I still paying for this even though we didn't resolve anything.?