Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

The Stabilitrak light comes on going up a and there is a

Customer Question

The Stabilitrak light comes on going up a hill and there is a clunking noise emanating in the power train. We replaced the stoplight switch, which eliminated the problem for 3 days. Now it is back
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The noise seems to be coming from the front of transmission/driveline and has only been going on for 7 days
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2008 Suburban
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, the brakelight switch, because that was recommended
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you know what the fault code number is ***** is set with this issue here at all?

Does the noise only occur over bumps or any other time?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not know the fault code. The customer said it was only when going up our hill and then goes out after he stops.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

O.k.,the first thing that needs to be done here is to have the fault codes read out of all computers using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers.There will be at least one code set in the ABS or Suspension computer that will help diagnose and locate the issue here.

With a noise issue here this may be a fault with the transfer case or front differential setting of a speed sensor issue or a fault with one of the front wheel bearings as these can be common.

So the codes need checked first (any local shop or dealer can read and diagnose the codes or a local parts store like Auto Zone will usually read these at no charge to you ) then the codes diagnosed to help locate and correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete