Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

If I need to replace the ECM on my Chevy Uplander, can I buy

Customer Question

If I need to replace the ECM on my Chevy Uplander, can I buy a salvage one and it should work?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Yes it will work as long as it is the engine ecu but it will have to be programmed to your model here.Even if it comes from the same year,model and engine/transmission and emission model vehicle it will still need programmed by a GM dealer or authorized repair center to recognize your vehicles VIN number and options and allow starting of the engine.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
If it is a good ecm, will I be able to start and run the auto at all?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have read that they will learn themselves with just driVing a while
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

If you pull the ECM from the same year and model vehicle with the same engine and transmission and same emissions (California or Federal) then you may be o.k. with just a theft relearn to get it started and running.Then if it runs o.k. and no check engine light or other warning lights come on you may be o.k. from there without programming.But if after the theft relearn to start the vehicle if it runs poorly in any way or any lights come on then it will need programmed.If you can post the year of your model I can look up the theft relearn as there is usually a manual way to relearn the theft system to get it started.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Do you have the theft relearn for this auto? I just installed a salvage ecm
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

I should have it if you can tell me the year of this vehicle?

Let me know so I can post it.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
2006 Chevy uplander
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

O.k.,below is the 30 minute manual relearn procedure.Make sure this is done with a fully charged battery or battery charger on the battery to maintain a charge.If a step is missed or skipped then you would need to start the process over.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:
- The PASS-Key III (PK3) keys
- The BCM
- The PCM

1. With a master PASS-Key III key (your key), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Observe the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the driver information center (DIC), after approximately 10 minutes the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the DIC will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
5. With a master PASS-Key III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Should it say Starting Disabled? Mine diesnt
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Mine doesnt
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

It will either say that or you will see a light that says "security" or theft that will either stay on or flash during the process above.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
None of that is taking place
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Is the starter engaging to crank over the engine at all?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

O.k.,this isnt a theft issue then.The ECM is not recognized so unfortunately you will need a full reprogram to correct this here.I was worried that would happen which kind of goes in line with my very first answer here.It will have to be in the vehicle and the vehicle at a dealer or authorized repair facility to be programmed to resolve this issue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Should a code reader connect to the new ecm anyway?
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

You should be able to connect a code reader or scan tool to the vehicle and communicate with the ecm as long as the ecm is good and as long as the scan tool or code reader is compatible with your model.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
My code reader used to work fine with the old ecm. But it quit reading the old, but it won't connect to this new one either
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Make sure the ecm is connected properly with no bent pins and that all fuses are o.k. in case an ignition fuse or similar had blown causing the no communication issues.Make sure the ecm wires are all o.k. as well.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Is there a way to test all the ecm wiring to isolate any possible bad wires? Also, would a bad wire to the ecm cause the auto to not start, not read codes, etc? I can ground the ignition pin on the ecm connector and the starter will crank. Also, when i turn the ignition key to start, the run relay clicks under the hood, and all the relays seem to be good. Also all fuses are good.
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

You can test power and ground signals at the ecm to make sure they are all o.k. and inspect for any damaged or shorted wiring needing repaired or replaced.If this is all o.k. and all fuses are o.k. and no other wiring or components were tampered with this usually indicates a fault with the ecm itself.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
One last thing I have found. On the ecm connectors, on all of the 5 volt reference pins, there is no voltage
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

If you are missing power or ground at the ecm for its main power and grounds this can occur here.I would test for the proper power and grounds at the ecm to see if an issue is found.