Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Passenger side seat belt has locked in fully retracted

Customer Question

Passenger side seat belt has locked in fully retracted position and will not extend for use.
JA: Which belt is acting up? And when was it last changed?
Customer: Crew cab, front passenger side. Never changed.
JA: What year is your Cab?
Customer: 2009
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: Chevy Silverado 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was trying to but no luck. Have removed trim, found no mechanical release, disconnected wiring, tried with engine running or off.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

The retractor would have to be replaced, I hate to have to say. I have heard of some people that were able to 'rig' them and get them free, however we are required by law to replace them when that happens.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** Thanks

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am aware of the replacement law affecting a dealer which is the main reason was trying to repair myself. I was looking for a hack since I have heard it can be done but can't seem to find the information.

I see, thanks.

There is an unintentional locking condition that the safety belts may experience called "overspool lock." If the webbing snaps back to the stowed position rapidly enough, the retractor will lock with the belt fully stowed.

You can try this, (from the factory recommendations) to see how it will work. Disengage the locking mechanism by following the recommendation listed below.

Recommendation

Pull hard on the locked webbing and then release. The hard pull extracts a small amount of webbing from the retractor which, in turn, permits a small amount of retraction to occur when released. This is all that is needed to disengage the locking mechanism. The safety belt will now function properly.

Thanks