Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

When I start the car it will idle at 1500 then it will

Customer Question

When I start the car it will idle at 1500 then it will steady go down to 1,000.I have set the timing.And this is what happens when I shift it from park to drive the rpm goes down to 600,but the car starts shaking and has a rough idle.But rpm stays at 600 -650
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I press the gas pedal the car bogs down.It barely moves
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 month ago.

Hello, when setting the timing did you unhook the EST timing connector?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also disconnected the battery and waited for a minute to clear codes .After connecting est

Thanks, ***** ***** any codes coming up currently?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No,
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

another expert here

I'd suggest the next step is to check for a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine

If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Expert:  Matt replied 26 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you