Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 security system is not working therefore I cannot start

Customer Question

2004 security system is not working therefore I cannot start the truck. Always to start it I had to press a button on the little box hanging on my key chain. I know there is a part under the hood that can be pulled out to override the system. Do you know which one it is?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: 2004 Silverado
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2004 Silverado
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 29 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

The symptoms you have described are not that of a stock vehicle. This sounds more like someone has added an aftermarket alarm, immobilizer, or remote start to the vehicle. I would begin with disabling that system to see if the OEM system takes back over and allows the vehicle to start and run correct. Can you try that?

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I bought this truck from a Chevy dealership brand new. The system was already on the truck. I was told by the sells person what needed to be removed to bypass the system but have forgotten part needs to be removed.

It appears the dealer installed an aftermarket system in addition to the one the truck already has and then turned around as sold it to you as a highly marked up security system. On your remote fob should be a name brand of this system. If you can get me that, I can go to that website to get you the install directions which you follow backwards for the removal directions.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 23 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris