Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez,
Experience:  lead technician at Performance Tire and Automotive
96641215

I have a chevrolet express van 3500 with 6.0 engine. how can

Customer Question

i have a chevrolet express van 3500 with 6.0 engine. how can i service the pcv valve? can i replace the pcv valve for myself? i want to clean ducts and replac the pcv s valves. this van has 281.000 miles.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 29 days ago.

What year is the van?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
2006

The passenger valve cover needs to be replaced. The pcv valve is built in the cover.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
this vehicle has only 1 pcv valve? i had in mind (2) per cover?

Yes it only has one the passenger side just has a breather tube. The drivers side has the pcv valve and it works for both sides.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
let me see, the driver has the pcv valve and i should replace the driver cover which have the valve?
usually how many miles last that pcv?

I checked repair history for the pcv valves and the average mileage is 125000. You would notice it running a little rough if it was bad.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
i have a 1/4 of oil burn every 3000 miles. i do not understand, which cover i replace the driver or passenger? if i remove the cover and replace the pcv ? it is bolted to the cover? some related codes?
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 28 days ago.

The drivers side valve cover has the pcv valve so to replace the valve the whole valve cover needs to be replaced. What codes are you getting.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i have all types of codes, coming and then dissapear, i have
p0056
p0174
p0455
p1516again that codes coming and then dissapear.
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 24 days ago.

Ill look at a couple wiring diagrams and get back to you. Two of those codes are oxygen sensor codes. Then one for the evap system and the last one is for the throttle. At this point I don't think the pcv valve would cause these codes.

Have you replaced any oxygen sensors by any chance?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
no never, i should? has more than one year.can i replace for myself the valve cover? it is very difficult task? i am replacing the pcv valve because the engine comsuption is a bottle every 3000 miles. i do not see any leak.

If you replace the passenger oxygen sensor after the converter it should take care of the p0056 and possibly the p0174 code. The valve cover isn't to bad to do. The book time for the valve cover replacement takes 2hrs.

Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 22 days ago.

Is there any other info you need?