GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Morning, I am working on a 96 GMC K3500, Standard Cab, 5

Customer Question

Morning, I am working on a 96 GMC K3500, Standard Cab, 5 Speed Stick, I am having Intermittent Electrical problem. After shutting off the pickup the IGN A 40A Fuse will blow when you turn the key to the CRANK position. Then once in awhile it will stop blowing the fuse, but you can hear the starter RELAY clicking, and the starter does nothing. I have tracked, pulled, moved wires under the hood, trying to get different results, tried to do some jumpers on the clutch switch. I replaced the Starter RELAY, Looked under the fuse block for shorts.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Morning, I am working on a 96 GMC K3500, Standard Cab, 5 Speed Stick, I am having Intermittent Electrical problem. After shutting off the pickup the IGN A 40A Fuse will blow when you turn the key to the CRANK position. Then once in awhile it will stop blowing the fuse, but you can hear the starter RELAY clicking, and the starter does nothing. I have tracked, pulled, moved wires under the hood, trying to get different results, tried to do some jumpers on the clutch switch. I replaced the Starter RELAY, Looked under the fuse block for shorts.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- Have you checked the Neutral Safety Switch on Transmission ?

2- The igntion switch itslef , did you inpsect the wire harness going to it ?

3- the fuse box where the 40 AMP go in , did you inpsetc the back of the fuse box for any wires loose or cooroded or making interminet short toucing each other?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its a standard Transmission. I did jumper by that. But have not looked down the steering colom yet. Will Do that now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not seeing any issues with wires in the steering colum

do you have a 7.4 , 5.7 or 6.5 dsl ? i need to look up the circuit for you

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5.7