Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Well...it wants to stall when I come to a stop or put it in

Customer Question

Well...it wants to stall when I come to a stop or put it in gear. If thats not bad enough, I put a brand new battery in and it was dead four days later. Something is draining it, and I'm guessing it has something to do with the stalling issue.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes I tested it and this ain't my first rodeo with batteries. lol...so yes, Ive changed them before
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2003 1500. 5.3 liter engine. approximately 243,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do all of my own repairs. It sat for about 10 months due to a brake line issue (had to replace all lines and winter set in first). It ran fine before the brakes went bad, now I'm getting nothing but headaches
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cant think of anything
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Have you tested the output voltage of the alternator yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problems there. Its did this immediately upon installing the new battery
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Are you getting any trouble codes along with the stall?

Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

What was the voltage output when you tested the alternator?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's the kicker. No trouble codes at all. Wish there were..it would make diagnosing this way easier!
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Is anything seemingly unrelated not working? Instrument cluster, radio, power seats, windows, or mirrors?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Honestly...my daughters bf tested it and told me it was fine and working properly. Voltmeter in the instrument panel reads a little over 14 when running but it fluctuates slightly below 14 till the truck warms up. Just tried to check it with my multimeter and the battery isn't strong enough to turn the engine
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Did the vehicle sit outside for 10 months? Have you inspected the wiring to the ignition coils, and oxygen sensors for rodent damage?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the drive, reverse, etc lights are very dim...have been for a while. And the fuel gauge and oil guage don't work anymore. But those were screwing up before the brakes went south
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it sat outside. And yes...I checked all wiring for signs of rodent damage. I can't see any
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Did you remove the fuse box and look underneath? I have seen a couple dozen of these trucks with wiring damage underneath the fuse box. As a matter of fact my own 2003 2500hd has rodent damage under the fuse box.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I didn't look there. I'll take a look.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No signs of rodent, insect or anything. All wires look fully intact
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

This is kind of a strange case. A stall usually doesn't happen without a misfire, a misfire doesn't happen without a trouble code. When it will run, does it seem sluggish and restrained? I'm wondering if maybe the rough idle and stall condition might not be related to the voltage draw.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing is easy with this truck! Haha. It idles smooth at around 600-700. Doesn't sputter until I put it in gear. If I rev the engine while in park, it idles down fast and low near stall speed (less than 500). It will stall if I don't let it down slow. I read somewhere about the idle air control valve causing this condition, but then read somewhere else that it doesnt have one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was also thinking all issues are related, but where is the issue? That's what I need to know!
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

No, the idle is controlled by the map and maf sensors, so and IAT isn't the issue.

Do you have a scan tool to check fuel trims? You will need to see if the computer is commanding the engine to run lean or rich.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I don't have anything like that
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

We're probably going to need one to see what the computer is doing. You might try a shade-tree idle position relearn. Disconnect the battery cables and then hold them together for about 1 minute. This will clear all of the adaptive memory modules and force a re-boot.

Then hold the throttle plate closed while someone else hooks the battery back up. The throttle plate might try to move a little when the battery is reconnected- that's ok.

Once the battery is hooked back up reconnect the air duct that you had to take off to get to the throttle plate and then start the engine like normal and see if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok....I'll give it a shot. Losing light now here. I'll let you know what happens
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good. I'm leaving the shop for the day in about 15 minutes. I'll check back in this evening to see how it went.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Won't be today...probably tomorrow if it doesn't rain....thanks for the help. I'll be in touch
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Let me know if you need more info.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well, I tried it and now the problem is worse. I let it idle for a while, now I can't keep it running without feathering the accelerator . and it won't start and just idle. Its keeps stalling.