Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Aloha. I have a 2005 chevy 2500 cargo van, 4.8 liter with a

Customer Question

Aloha. I have a 2005 chevy 2500 cargo van, 4.8 liter with a code 496 (evaporative emission system - purge high) what do I need to do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! Sorry for the delay... I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Do you happen to have access to a scan-tool that can read EVAP system data in reaal time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't have one, sorry
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. The P0496 can be set by either a faulty Purge Solenoid Valve or a faulty Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. Unfortunately, the test to determine which, will require a scan-tool. I can say, more commonly here is the Purge. And it's the easier to access and replace. So, best bet is to inspect the vacuum lines to the purge for any cracks, holes or disconnections. If the lines check ok, replce the Purge Solenoid. It's located on the top, front of the engine, behind the alternator. IF the purge doesn't solve the problem, the problem will be the FTP Sensor. This is located at the top of the fuel tank, mounted to the top of the fuel pump assembly. To gain access, the fuel tank will need to be removed. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can u send a drawing of the purge system
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Absolutely. In the image below, the Purge Solenoid Valve is #1. And you want to carefully inspect the plastic tube between #2 and #3 for any cracks or holes. View the image here: https://goo.gl/3hZpfM

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Romona! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Aloha Ron, sorry wasn't able work on the van trouble calls galore last week. Can I get back with u this week?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Absolutely. This thread stays open for as long as you need it. Follow-ups can always be asked, even after you rate or accept the answers.