Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

1997 suburban 1500 with abs trouble light on and will not

Customer Question

1997 suburban 1500 with abs trouble light on and will not shift.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: I need to go out and see. will be right back.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Working now! Changed both front wheel sensors about two hours ago. It ABS errored then and didn't shift. Could it have bled air out of system and/or reset while the two hrs went by?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please call me on my cell --- *************
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just got temporary password. Ask me for password *****
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most likely another component in the abs system is intermittently acting up needing replaced setting off a fault code.You will have to get the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set and those codes diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.If you can get the codes read out and post the code info here this will help just let me know but I do suspect another sensor or component at fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Code says speed sensor. Could that be the intermittent problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Yes,the speed sensor can cause this issue here intermittently and usually the sensor itself needs replaced to resolve this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete