Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I got in my truck and when i started it, it was in neutral

Customer Question

i got in my truck and when i started it, it was in neutral and for some reason the column shifter is not working
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: im not sure, also there is no resistance on the column shifter
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 06 1500 silverado
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i havent tried anything yet i noticed it early this morning when i tried to go to work
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats about it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually what fails here and causes this issue is a broken shifter cable.It is odd that it was in neutral after sitting over night if you placed it in park unless it was vandalized.But usually no resistance and no shifting can indicate the common issue of the shifter cables itself broken needing replaced or that it had become disconnected from the transmission itself.You can inspect under the vehicle with the emergency brake set and wheels blocked to see if it has been disconnected from the transmission on the drivers side.If it has you can try and snap the cable back onto the shift linkage on the side of the transmission on the drivers side but if it will not snap into place on the ball on the shift linkage on the transmission or if it is already in place I suspect the cable itself is at fault needing replaced.This was the most common fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete