Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I have installed new caliper kits, reconditioned master

Customer Question

I have installed new caliper kits, reconditioned master cylinder, disc pads and have bled the system. The pedal is a little soft and requires a fair amount of pressure , more than I feel comfortable. Is there something I am missing, The booster was replaced around 3000 miles ago. I would appreciate some advice. Thank you.
JA: Besides this, what condition is the car in?
Customer: Car is a C4 bored 40thou flat top pistons Aeroflow heads. In immaculate condition. By the way, I am emailing from Australia.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1989 C4 convertible Corvette.
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Car is all finished, Runs really hard. Brakes are not as good as I would like
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I guess that covers it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

if this doesn't help then its possible that you need to run the ABS pump to move any trapped air inside

the dealer method is to use the diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS during bleeding

however I've had good results by just taking the car for short drive and stamping on the pedal at low speed to lock the brakes and trigger the ABS and then re-bleed

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you