Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Sporadic no start. no fuel at injectors. fuel pump replaced

Customer Question

sporadic no start. no fuel at injectors. fuel pump replaced twice. you can hear it running but it doesn't quit running with key on. tbi rebuilt. an on going problem for a couple of years. i can go out tonight and it will start. a cold start problem, always starts when warm.
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: replaced fuel pump many times. twice in the last year.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1992 c2500 silverado
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new fuel pump, rebuilt tbi, new ecm
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: the reason my truck won't start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen issues with poor ground for the fuel pump on this model as it attaches to the frame.I have had to re do the body and frame ground in the engine bay and clean and re do the pump ground on the frame for a better ground.The pump may run but it may not be supplying enough fuel pressure due to poor grounding in some cases.If this has not been checked into I would see if this resolves the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do think it is a ground problem. Sometimes the voltmeter bounces back and forth like a turn signal is on without any lights on. I have double grounded the engine and have checked the one from the tank at the frame. I will recheck them again. Any other grounds I should check?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Did you ever have the battery and alternator tested at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not checked them recently but we checked everything in March when engine was replaced.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If you can have these tested this will hep to see if these are an issue in any way needing replaced.Let me know,thanks Pete.