GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1996 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 4WD: 194,000 miles, Fuel pump, 91,000

Customer Question

1996 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 4WD: 194,000 miles, Fuel pump, 91,000 miles, distributor 73,000 miles, new style spyder injectors 73000, new GM Crate motor, 72,000 miles, Transmission rebuild 16,000 miles, new torque converter 3,200 miles.
After getting my transmission and transfer case rebuilt, my motor came down with a random miss at idle and also after shifting into 4th overdrive at 1400 rpm thru 1800 rpm. Then at exactly 2200 rpm its as if I shut the key off for about 2 to 3 seconds. (As if a rev limiter got enacted.) There are no misses when I keep the transmission in 1, 2, or 3 at any rpm. It only happens in drive at idle and after it has shifted into overdrive.
After having my truck “ fixed “ at 4 different mechanic’s shops, replacing the MAF, EGR Valve, Ignition Control Module, Coil, Plugs, Wires, Cap , Rotor, Cam sensor, Crank sensor, and fuel filter, I personally checked the fuel pressure.” Key on” 64 psi, running 54 psi at idle , the more throttle the higher the pressure, topping out at 64. With “key off” pressure increases to 64, 1.5 minutes after key is off, then stays at 64 for 8 minutes, gradually decreasing to zero over the next 4.25 hours. The distributer does not have any slop in it either.
The transmission shop tells me the transmission is working as it should, after they replaced the “defective” torque converter.
Any suggestions?
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: I am not certain of anything
JA: What year is your Spyder?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your Spyder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, read the list
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a miss at idle with the transmission in gear?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

First off, the fuel pressure should not bleed off in 4.5 hours. You should check the fuel pressure regulator to make sure it is not leaking. Do you have any codes that come up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No codes
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Not even a p0300?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No not even a random miss code
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to run, and then go out when you start the engine or does it not come on at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Key on , check engine light on start engine light goes out
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

How bad is the miss?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's bad enough that I put it in neutral at a stop light. I still get a miss in neutral but like 1 every 20 to 25 seconds.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know what happened. I responded with Yes I do.