Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

It was running fine then My starter wire shorted out and my

Customer Question

It was running fine then My starter wire shorted out and my truck shut off. I fixed the problem and started my truck up and it was knocking.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It started once the starter wire shorted out. Immediately after i fixed that and started up my truck it was knocking under the hood. The motor or somewhere but definatly under the hood.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 1996 s10 truck 4.3
JA: Are you fixing your S10 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes ive only took the valve cover off to see if there was a stuck valve and looked underneath to see if the fly wheel bolts had worked loose
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont guess
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- if the truck engine was running fine , i don t see why would the starter wire shorting out start making it knock internally

2- I would pull the starter back pop out and inspect the flywheel for missing teeth , or being loose first ?

3- what is the mileage on it , unless it was a coincidence , is knocking and have lack of power ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked the fly wheel to see if the bolts where loose and they werent but it does look like the fly wheel is warped. When it is making the knocking noise you can put it in gear and the noise almost stops. When you crank it up you hear the knocking but the longer you let it run the weaker the motor gets.

YOU ARE CORRECT ,THE FLYWHEEL IS THE PROBLEM HERE .

WHEN YOU SAY WHEN YOU PUT IN GEAR THE NOISE STOPS BECAUSE THE FLYWHEEL IS UNDER LOAD AND IS BETTER BALANCED UNDER LOAD Take the trans out and change it , they are not crazy expensive your local parts store should have it in stock

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why is it running rough? Skipping and wont barley pull....

if the flywheel is warped it will make the crankshaft out of balance and it will effect the crank signal and timing , unless you have more issues.

was the truck running good prior to this ?

no oil usage , no smoking ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was running fine prior to the starter wire shorting out. It didnt use oil or smoke

hey how are you

If it was running fine I would pull the flywheel first and when we get there make sure there is no play at the end of the crankshaft

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Thank You
Chad Farhat