Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Car starts perfectly when cold. After driving 5 miles with

Customer Question

car starts perfectly when cold. After driving 5 miles with no misses or anything out of the ordinary. park for 5 minutes and when restarted the idle is initially to slow at about 400 RPM and the engine stalls. Now it is real hard to re-start but after maybe 4-5 tries it will go again
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: check engine light not on. car never stalls or misses while driving. Has new plugs this helped a little.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 chev malibu 3.5 could the EGR valve cause this?
JA: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: plugs and canister solinoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats about it
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like a dirty throttle body which will cause airflow restrictions which will make vehicle idle low, stall, or be hard to start. You can get some throttle body cleaner from parts store, spray onto a rag, then use rag to wipe out throttle bore and throttle plate good as possible. If you were to have a shop do this they would charge you around $50, it would take you about 15 minutes to do it yourself. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.