GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

The nipple on the intake Resonator broke. 03 2.2L ecotec, So

Customer Question

The nipple on the intake Resonator broke.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 03 2.2L ecotec
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far just a threaded brass fitting.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Did it over a year ago. And I'm not sure the problem I'm having is because of that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, it would help if you could explain what the current problem is

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A few months ago the alternator was replaced as well as new battery. Since then when I start it about 5 sec later the air bag light starts flashing, the battery light comes on and stays on, the dome light and radio shut off until the engine warms up just a bit. Then the cluster lights shut off and dome light and radio come back on. During that time it also idles rough like it wants to shut off. Only does it from cold start. As soon as it warms up a bit idle goes back to normal too. The only thing I could think of was oil dripping from that fitting on resonator onto alternator. Battery connections are clean. And it starts right up and runs fine after that initial hiccup.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No and it's not throwing any codes
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

I dont believe it has anything to do with that broken and repair port unless you can see oil dripping from it onto the alternator, but there should not be oil coming out of it.

Based upon all the symptoms, there is a low voltage condition when first cranked. This may be from the new alternator or from an issue with the signal from the computer to the alternator to energize the voltage regulator. It doesnt automatically come on like older cars. Instead, the computer sends a signal to energize the voltage regulator inside the alternator based upon readings from a signal wire from the alternator to the computer. It will tell the regulator to increase or decrease voltage output as needed.

If I can get the last 8 of the vin number, I can pull up the schematics and walk you thru some testing. You will need a voltmeter for this

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
37357167 any particular voltmeter?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The one I have doesn't have alligator clips
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Just need to have leads to test voltage at wiring. Give me a few minutes to pull the schematics

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

At the alternator, I need you to check the voltage at the gray wire and then at the smaller red wire when first cranked up and idling and let me know the results

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can I do that without unhooking the harness?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Probe the wire from the back side of the connector with your positive lead and have the negative lead on the engine block or other good ground

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to do it when the car is cold right otherwise the reading is going to be different.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Because I took up to O'Reilly and had them test it and it passed but obviously it was warmed up.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

correct, you want to do it when it is cold. Preferably having sat for at least 4-6 hours. So if you need to wait til the morning, that is fine. just bookmark this page to return to it when you have the readings. I am here everyday for my customers

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks. I'll try to check it in the morning before I take my kids to school. If not it will be tomorrow evening.