kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 96 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 OHV, 181 k miles, i have to

Customer Question

I have a 96 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 OHV, 181 k miles, i have to crank for 5 to 10 seconds to start, pushing the pedal helps but recently there is a strong gas smell everytime i do this, if the car is parked for less than 30 minutes sems to star right away
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Maybe is eating more gas now but is not something obvious to me si I guess it's not taht bad
JA: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am doing it myself. Replaced spak plugs, spak plug cables, about to replace fuel filter.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Timing chain is knocking so i already have parts to replace on next weekend
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a scan tool that will show you live engine data?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, basic tools.

More then likely the engine coolant temp sensor is sending the wrong temp of the engine to the computer. This will cause the computer to let the injectors let in to much fuel when the engine is cold. It would be nice to know for sure what the computer is seeing when the engine is cold. The ect is not hard to replace and is only about $15. I would start with replacing the ect and see how it starts after it has sat for a couple of hours.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am guessing it might be
1) Ignition coil failure, but once the car is idle doesn't sound like any cylinder is faulting.
2) Fuel line cracked, so it lets get air in the system once the car is parked.Now i am seeing your answer and is a good idea.

If the coil was faulty the engine would not start or would always have a miss, and if the fuel line was cracked, you would have gas pouring out of the fuel line.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But if actuallly stepping on the pedal helps... and not stepping on it can result on another 10 seconds cranking... I guess it would be more the opposite than flooding... That's why my guess was on the fuel line crack/air.. I never have to floor the pedal, just halfway works so I guess is not doing the flush... I'll check on my local store about the ECT sensor and let youknow when is done, changing the fuel filter today so I'll try to inspect the line where is visible so i can come back with any imput.

If the ect is telling the computer that the engine is colder then it really is, then the computer will add to much fuel, you holding the throttle open more will allow more air in so the extra fuel can get more air to burn better. I have seen a bad ect tell the computer the engine was -40 below zero and it was only 60 outside.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I see the point, I already ordered the ECT from O'Reilly I'm going to change it today and let you know the resultslater today or tommorrow. Thanks for the help.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Changed the ECT Sensor yesterday at 7 pm, same issue, it won't start without stepping on the pedal half way. If it has less than 30 minutes off starts right away, I checked on the fuel lines around the fuel filter and it looks normal, no stains or gas smell.

Do you have a fuel pressure tester?