Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez,
Experience:  lead technician at Performance Tire and Automotive
96641215

1998 Chevy 1500 5.7 the vehicle after you drive for about 20

Customer Question

1998 Chevy 1500 5.7 the vehicle after you drive for about 20 min it starts breaking down popping and acting like it does have power I have changed the dist cap and rotor wires ,checked fuel pressure running and with a load excellent fuel pressure. I thought something was getting hot but it does it sometimes at first start up.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 4 months ago.

Have you by any chance replaced the ignition module?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
new module

Ok double check the shaft that the rotor goes on for excessive play. This would cause a misfire issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok would the pickup coil cause the ignition to break up and there are no codes cked system out with a GM scanner.

Yes the coil can also cause this issue. The coil gets its signal of when to fire from module.

Any new info?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No i replaced the pickup coil and coil ,ign module, also tried a mass air flow . I guess ill ck the wiring next on cranksensor . Any suggestions?

Do you have access to the gm scanner? If so check fuel trims when its acting up. If its running rich you should check injector assembly for leaks. Another thing to check would be misfire counts with the scanner. Depending on what cylinders are misfiring, it can point us in a better direction on what to test.