Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs
7276279

2004 Suburban Have replaced HVAC control in dashboard and

Customer Question

2004 Suburban Have replaced HVAC control in dashboard and drivers side door actuator and it still doesnt work Im out iof ideas passenger side works ok
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Have you checked the blend door actuator for the driver side to be sure its working?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have bought two and neither one moves I took the old one apart and removed the gears and then plugged it in and the motor ran
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Are you working on a automatic system (buttons) or a Manuel system (knobs)?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
its the automatic system that shows you the temp in digital numbers
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay Are you able to check the signal to the actuator if I send you the steps>

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if it doesnt require special test equipment right now the door actuator is not plugged in I have the old one set to around 75 for the winter here in georgia
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

No all you will need is a volt meter, See the steps in the link below. Run through them and see if this will help you determine the cause.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/LH%20blend%20Oct%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok im at the vehicle, printed instructions and ready to test
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay run through them and see if this will help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
heres where im at brown/yellow 13.82 volts lt blue/black 4.86 dark blue 2.49 noting on lt blue to ground no matter where i set the temp control shoud have been between 1 and 5 volts here lies the problem
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Well if your sure the module is okay then you likely are dealing with a wiring issue if you are doing your testing correctly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i need to take the control head out give me a minute
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not sure which wire is the signal wire to the driver side actuator the wire colors are different at the control head tha n they are at the actuator motor i guess i could ring them out with my meter im getting close saying the hell with it and just set the door to a good winter temp and not plug it in
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok this will take a while if i can find the right pin at the control that varies between 1 and 5 volts ill run
a jumper down to the actuator and try that under the broken wire theory
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

You can also ohm check the wire t check for an open as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the light blue wire that has no voltage is good up to the control module plug now ill plug the control module back in and see if the is any voltage on it to ground 1 to 5 volts
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

The light blue wire should read reference voltage of about 5 volts plugged in from the module . If you checking it unplugged you will not get a reading.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
now the actuator runs one time when you start the vehicle and wil not run agsin until you turn the vehicle off and and start it again, no mater what the temp is set at
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i think my computer lost contact with you
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Im here, I had to step out for a minute.

Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

If its trying to work now then let hook everything back up and try running the Blend Door Actuator Calibration Procedure. See the steps to do this in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Reset%20Oct%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i just put everything back together and have the heat set at about 75 by adjusting the old actuator If i do plug it in it goes one time to COLD and stays there I give up
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Take a look at the link I just sent you and try running the Blend Door Actuator Calibration Procedure. This needs to be done anytime they are replaced.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
since there is no voltage on the light blue pin on the back of the plug is it possible that the plug is screwed up on that pin ?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

If you checking it with it plugged in there there should be reference voltage , if there is not then it is possible the pin could be bad or the controller is not producing a signal.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried everything, twice, and two different HVAC controllers and two different actuator door units It still runs one time when you start the engine, will never move again until you turn the engine off and restart the car
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Did you ever try the Blend Door Actuator Calibration Procedure I sent you this morning?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i tried the blend door actuator procedure as well as the control module procedure. With two different control modules and two different door actuators
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Well something is being over looked here but with out being there to do the testing my self Im not sure what it is. If you would like, I can open the post back up for you. I am out of ideas as well as things to check.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
im done also everything is new and still doeswnt work thanks for your help
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.