GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe LT with 103k miles. 2 weeks ago I

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Chevy Tahoe LT with 103k miles. 2 weeks ago I used jumper cables to jumpstart a neighbor's car. As soon as I got back in my truck, a) the 'check engine' icon was illuminated, b) a message saying 'service trailer brake system' appeared, and c) my backup camera (small window on my rear view mirror) stopped working. I took truck to AutoZone; their diagnostic device flashed error codes P069E and P2534. Thoughts on what I should do? Truck runs fine (as far as I know).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 months ago.

Hi there. I am Cam.
Both of those codes are for the fuel pump control module. The p2534 is for a low voltage and the P069E is a code saying there is an issue or code set in the module. Given this is right after you boosted a vehicle, I would try resetting the codes and see if they return. IF they do, check battery connections and grounds. If you still find nothing then I am thinking you may have caused a surge that damaged your fuel pump module.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do I reset the codes? I disconnected the battery for 10-15 minutes; when I reconnected, warnings still came on. Also - if it is the fuel pump module, does this need to be replaced immediately (I have a trip coming up at the end of the week)?

I honestly think a reset will work. A code reader is best, ***** ***** may also.
Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.

If it runs fine then you likely can go with it as is. IF it was a problem, it would have stopped your engine.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
HI Cam: I disconnected the battery, held the ends of the two cables together for 20+ seconds. Reconnected cables, started engine, same warnings came on. I also went to the driver console and selected a 'reset factory settings' option, but nothing changed. I have driven the truck > 500 miles since the warnings began (I was in Florida when issue came up, had to drive back to North Carolina). Other thoughts? Thanks!

Check wiring connections at the battery for the cables and if that does not fix it then you will need to replace the module. Its not a plug and play, it does require programming once installed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks. The cables seem fine - tight connections, no gunk (battery was just replaced about 3 weeks ago). Sounds like I need to take it to a dealer/service center.

Sadly I think that is the next step.