Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I replaced my battery in my 2014 Chevy Silverado and truck

Customer Question

I replaced my battery in my 2014 Chevy Silverado and truck wont turn over?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Check that the new battery is fully charged. Also make sure the cables are hooked up correctly and tight, and check all fuses.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
new battery is fully charged & cables are tightly secured. I dont know how to check all fuses, i dont know where they are?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Underhood fuse box. Does anything electrical work on the truck when you turn the key on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When i was tightning down the ground cable on the new battery my ratchet handle arched one of the posts on the electrical panel that sits on top of the battery!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Only the headlights come on when I turn the key
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The headlights and the dome lights with my door open come on when I pit the key in the ignition, not when I try to turn it over
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Yes, you have a blown fuse. Check the fuses in the underhood fuse box, look at all of them you should be able to see the blown fuse.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing looks abnormal with any of the fuses? How can I tell if any are blown?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Go to the auto parts store and pick up a cheap test light. You can quickly check all fuses without removing them. You can probe the back side of the fuse on both sides through little holes. If you have power on both sides the fuse is good, power on one side you have a blown fuse. Do this with the key in the on position.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got a fuse tester, tried it on my son's car and it works, tried it on my Chevy, No light on any fuse in my fuse box! tried it several times with the ground in different locations. Yes, key was in on position.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Check the main cable that goes to the fuse box for power.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will time out and close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

Thanks