AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2006 cobalt 2.2. Car has been sitting for some time

Customer Question

I have a 2006 cobalt 2.2. Car has been sitting for some time with blown motor. Put in used motor and have no crank security light comes on and then goes off. If I jump crank relay will crank and start but security light us on no power steering or radio
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: What do you mean power loss
JA: Are you fixing your Cobalt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes doing it myself check all fuses and relays have power at relay no power to start in crank mode with key but if I jump relay it starts
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No codes but battery was junk in car when I started the motor job. What would cause no crank but will crank if I jump crank relay
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Ignition switch

Body control module

ECM

Wiring/bad connection

Faulty inputs to the ECM or BCM

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Here is a wiring diagram of the starting circuit.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like the ECM is not activating the crank relay. You can verify this by making sure that the other two powers going into the relay check out good (it sounds like at least one of them check out ok because it starts when jumping the relay) and grounding the yellow wire for the starter relay control at the ECM and the engine should crank over with the key in the CRANK position. If this checks out good, then we will need to verify that the ECM is getting the correct inputs. It is possible that the ECM itself may just be bad. But of course the powers and grounds would need to be checked along with the ignition switch and BCM as well.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

I see you have viewed my last reply but have not responded back. I am just checking in to see if you have any further questions or to see if you still need help with anything? If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help. If I have answered all of your questions, please dont forget to honor the good faith rating system to complete this conversation.

Thank you and have a great day!