gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My car has the smell of rotten eggs or exhaust coming in. I

Customer Question

My car has the smell of rotten eggs or exhaust coming in. I have to ride with the windows down. I was told it is probably the catalytic converter. It is a 2013 Chevy Equinox with approx. 50,000 miles. Would the catalytic converter be covered under the powertrain warranty.
JA: Have the O2 sensors been scanned?
Customer: No. I haven't taken it in anywhere yet.
JA: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm a 19 yr old college student. I can't fix it and I am on a very limited budget. That's why I am wondering about the warranty.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. That's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

Federal emissions warranty is 8 years, 80k miles, so if the catalyst is the problem then it would be covered. Any manufacterer is going to want to have confirmation that you have had your maintenances done on schedule, as there are some things that could cause the catalyst to fail prematurely- worn spark plugs, failed coil, overfilled oil level, etc.

But just judging from the smell, it sounds like the catalyst has failed and is no longer converting your exhaust gases properly- too much sulfur being emitted from the tailpipe.