Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Service 4wd message on permanently, 05 silverado 5.3l,

Customer Question

service 4wd message on permanently
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 05 silverado 5.3l
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced switch and actuator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: problem used to be intermittent but now seems to be on for good. Turning off used to work to reset it and as long as didn't use 4H I could go from 2H to 4L without any issues... this si how I worked around this issue for last 2 years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

do you know if you can communicate with the 4WD module to pull codes ?

are there any 4WD codes set ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going to try that tomorrow but no codes for now...
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

if no codes the issue is going to be a bad encoder motor on the transfer case or a bad module

if the fuses are all good and no codes and you can communicate with the 4WD module then remove the encoder motor and if you can shift the case by hand into 4 HI and then back to 2WD then the encoder motor is bad

if no communication with the module then the module is bad OR needs to be reprogrammed with updated calibrations to correct this issue of the module not powering up

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do i know if it communicates with the module?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

iif it gives you codes or says no codes then it communicated

if the code reader or scan tool used says can not communicate or comes up saying it can not read the codes from the 4WD module then the module is not communicating

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's fixed now, was a bad ground FYI had nothing to do with module or tc motor... You're service was prompt but lead me further than I needed. I feel you should have pointed me to the ground first before doing the rest of it. Because your tip didn't lead me to the solution I don't feel I need to pay. But in order to keep your good rating going I'll just abstain from rating you. I think that's fair. Thanks Gary.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

thank you