Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Our engine exhaust filter light just came on, after driving

Customer Question

Our engine exhaust filter light just came on, after driving 4-5 hours on the hwy, can this be fixed by us or does this need delaership
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Clean exhaust filter - engine is on reduced power
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2009 Silverado 2500HD
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The message just came on, so am trying to understand if I can fix it or if I need to take it to a shop. I have done nothing to the truck so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

it should clean itself if you follow this here

if by a rare chance it does NOT a dealer would need to plug in and see if they can get it to clean

The DPF will clean itself as part of normal operation. Several factors including fuel consumed, hours of engine operation and miles driven are monitored by the engine control module (ECM). The self-cleaning occurs approximately once per tank of fuel. Under certain driving conditions, such as extended idling, stop-and-go traffic, etc., the DPF cannot clean itself.

Notice : in order for the filter to clean itself, the vehicle must be driven above 30mph (50 km/h) until the message clears

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

let me know if you have any questions

dont forget to rate us here