Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems
45790705

Cruisewillnotengage, 2008silverado, 2008, yesihavethefuse,

Customer Question

cruisewillnotengage
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2008silverado
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yesihavethefuse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

This the BCM location on the 3rd diagram i sent you listing components in picture including BCM

1 - I/P Trim 2 - Fuse Block - I/P 3 - Body Control Module (BCM) 4 - Speaker - Subwoofer (UQA) 5 - Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM) (UE1 +YE9) 6 - Digital Radio Receiver (U2K)

I sent you the description of the system and the componenst related , the bcm ,ecm, stop lamp switch etc.. so many components involved

1-I suggest a diagnostic scan or equivalent to Read The BCM module and retrieve the fault codes this way we can be accurate .

2-make sure all fuses are good .

the most common

3- brake lamp switch is a common problem also

3- BCM is the most common issue but testing is needed

this is the circuit diagram for the cruise control

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsjbfpo6rktqh46/5.gif?dl=0

Cruise Control Description and Operation Cruise control is a speed control system that maintains a desired vehicle speed under normal driving conditions at speeds above 40 km/h (25 mph). Steep grades may cause variations in the selected vehicle speeds. The following are the main components of the Cruise Control System: * The accelerator pedal * The stop lamp switch * The body control module (BCM) * The cruise control switches * The engine control module (ECM) * The throttle actuator control (TAC) motor * The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) Cruise Control Engaged The Cruise Control System will engage and adjust vehicle speeds, based on the activation of the following cruise control switches, which are located on the steering wheel: * The on/off switch * The + RES switch * The - SET switch The body control module (BCM) monitors the signal circuit of the cruise control switches. The BCM relays the cruise control switch status to the engine control module (ECM) via the GMLAN serial data circuit. The ECM uses the status of the cruise control switch to determine when to capture and maintain the vehicle speed. The ECM monitors the vehicle speed signal circuit in order to determine the desired vehicle speed. The ECM uses the throttle actuator control (TAC) motor in order to maintain the vehicle speed. For further information on the TAC System, refer to Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System Description for the 4.3L engine or Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System Description for the 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, 6.2L or 7.0L engines. Voltage is supplied to the cruise control switch via the steering wheel control switch reference voltage circuit supplied by the BCM. The cruise control function switches are arranged in a resistive ladder design, with each cruise control function switch having a different resistance value. The BCM detects a specific voltage value that is associated with the cruise control function switch being activated. When the normally open cruise control on/off switch is turned ON, the switch closes and the BCM supplies a ground to the cruise control switch ON indicator circuit as it becomes illuminated. The BCM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the ECM indicating that the on/off switch is active. Similarly, when the normally open + RES switch or the normally open - SET switch are pressed, the switch closes and the BCM detects the predetermined voltage signal on the cruise control set/coast and resume/accel switch signal circuit. The BCM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the ECM indicating that the + RES switch or the - SET switch is active. To engage the Cruise Control System, ensure that the vehicle speed is above 40.2 km/h (25 mph), turn the cruise On/Off switch ON and momentarily press the - SET switch. The ECM will engage the Cruise Control System and record the vehicle speed. The ECM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the driver information center (DIC) in order to illuminate the CRUISE SET TO ### message. The ECM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) in order to illuminate the Cruise Engaged indicator in the IPC. The - SET switch and the + RES switch will remain inactive when the BCM has not received the predetermined voltage signal from the on/off switch. Pressing the accelerator pedal, while the Cruise Control System is engaged, will allow the driver to override the Cruise Control System in order to accelerate the vehicle beyond the current set vehicle speed. When the accelerator pedal is released, the vehicle will decelerate and resume the current set vehicle speed. The driver can also override the current set vehicle speed via the - SET switch and the + RES switch. When the Cruise Control System is engaged, pressing and holding the - SET switch will allow the vehicle to decelerate from the current set vehicle speed without deactivating the Cruise Control System. When the - SET switch is released, the ECM will record the vehicle speed and maintain the vehicle speed as the new set vehicle speed. When the Cruise Control System is engaged, momentarily pressing the - SET switch will allow the vehicle to decelerate at 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments for each time that the - SET is momentarily pressed, with a minimum vehicle speed of 37 km/h (23 mph). Pressing and holding the + RES switch, when the Cruise Control System is engaged, will allow the vehicle to accelerate to a greater vehicle speed than the current set vehicle speed. When the + RES switch is released, the ECM will record the vehicle speed and maintain the vehicle speed as the new set vehicle speed. When the Cruise Control System is engaged, momentarily pressing the + RES switch will allow the vehicle to accelerate at 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments for each time that the + RES switch is momentarily pressed, with the maximum acceleration total of 16 km/h (10 mph) over the current set vehicle speed. Momentarily activating the + RES switch will recall the previous vehicle speed, after the cruise control system is disengaged by pressing the brake pedal or by activating the CANCEL switch. Cruise Control Disengaged The engine control module (ECM) disengages the cruise control operation based on the signals from the following switches: * The stop lamp switch * The cruise control On/Off switch * The cruise control cancel switch The body control module (BCM) determines when the cruise control cancel switch is activated. When the normally open cancel switch is closed, the BCM detects the predetermined voltage signal on the cruise control function switch circuit. The BCM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the ECM in order to disengage the cruise control system. The stop lamp switch is mounted on the brake pedal bracket. When the brake pedal is applied, the normally open stop lamp switch closes. The ECM monitors the stop lamp signal circuit through a discrete input and a GMLAN serial data message signal from the BCM indicating the brake status. When both signals indicate the brake pedal is applied, the ECM will disengage the cruise control system. The Cruise Control System will disengage when the cruise control on/off switch is switched OFF. The vehicle speed stored in the memory of the engine control module will be erased when the cruise control On/Off switch is turned OFF, or the ignition switch is turned OFF. The Cruise Control System will disengage when the ECM detects that a driver override function has been active for approximately 60 seconds. When the Cruise Control System has been disengaged, the ECM sends a GMLAN serial message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) in order to turn OFF the Cruise Engaged indicator, and to the driver information center (DIC) in order to turn OFF the CRUISE SET TO ### message. Each time the Cruise Control System is disengaged, the ECM will keep track of the reason for system disengagement. The last 8 disengagement reasons will be recorded within the ECM memory, and can be viewed with a scan tool. Cruise Control Inhibited The engine control module (ECM) inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist: * The ECM has not detected a brake pedal activation from the body control module (BCM). * A Cruise Control System DTC has been set. * The vehicle speed is less than 40.2 km/h (25 mph). * The vehicle speed is too high. * The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear. * The engine RPM is too low. * The engine RPM is too high. * The system voltage is not between 9-16 volts. * The Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) is active for more than 2 seconds.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
Chad Farhat