BOBBYSS, Master Technician

My car jerking while I drive and is turning off sometimes

Customer Question

My car jerking while I drive and is turning off sometimes and my volt like turns on a little and my security like but no codes please help
JA: What year is your Volt?
Customer: Not sure I have a 97 chevy lumina
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing I'm not good with cars
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's my main problem
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 6 days ago.

Hello. If the vehicle is just turning off then it is usually either a bad crank position sensor or a bad ignition control module. Both of these are common problems on this vehicle. It can also be an ignition switch but that is not as common. The vehicle will need to be tested while the problem is occurring. A scan tool that reads engine data can be used to check the crank signal when the vehicle stalls. If there is no signal then the sensor is bad. If there is then I would remove the ignition module, which is located under the coil pack, and have it tested at most auto parts stores. I hope this helps. If you need anything else please let me know.