Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I'm installing 8-way power seats with seat heaters into my

Customer Question

I'm installing 8-way power seats with seat heaters into my 2014 2500hd (which came with manual seats). I now have the schematics, and I'm comfortable with wiring the hot and negative into the main seat connector.My question is in regards ***** ***** seat heaters. In the schematic, it shows two wires going to the heating element itself. But, it also shows two wires going to a variable resistor. Will I need to flow through the variable resistor and then into the heating element? I assume so as I will not get a hi / lo setting from my aftermarket switch if don't. But, I'd like your opinion please.Also, the seats are from a 2011 Avalanche LTZ.
Submitted: 2 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 day ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the seat heaters to operate properly the resistor does need to be wired in properly to allow correct operation and to not over heat the seats.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
OK, so would you wire you hot to one side of the resistor, the other side of the resistor to the element and then follow up the other element wire for ground? this would allow the energy source to flow through the resistor to the element.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 day ago.

Do you know if the Avalanche had option codes KB6 or AN3 or X88 or Z88 or KA6 or HP2 or KA1?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I have no idea. It was the LTZ model.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 day ago.

O.k.,there are different ways to wire the seat heaters all depending on what option codes the seats came from.Is there any way you can obtain these option codes from the donor vehicle?They should be printed on an ID code chart in the glove box.

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Sorry no. It's a salvaged item.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 day ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I am unable to see how to wire this properly myself from here but someone else here may be able to assist further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete