Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Actually it's a GMC. The security light on the dash is on

Actually it's a GMC. The security light on the dash is on 24/7. Starts and dies. Tried several times/days to do the reset procedure. No luck. Do I need to get rid of all the codes in the ECM. The check engine light is on when the truck is running.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: On steady. When I do the bump start and leave the key on for 10 minutes the light goes from battery to low coolant to security and repeats. Coolant is OK
JA: What is the model of your '10 GMC?
Customer: '98 Sierra
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself, tried the reset by bumping the starter, then on for 10 minutes, then off for 15 sec then start and die. repeat. Looked for loose or broken wires. Added additional ground straps from block to frame and firewall and frame to body. Made sure the resistor pack on top of the ignition switch connector was not loose or dirty.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

The VATS security system is defective

if you did the relearn several times and it will not work .

first the best thing will be

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the alarm module in the vehicle.
is it the module, the receiver, hood switch , door switch, wiring etc.. , it could be number of reasons & there is not a fuse or a relay that you can pull out to disconnect it unfortunately

WithouT a scan we will be guessing , the check engine light on is a problem we need to know why

You can try this reset if that don't work

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

and the relearn procedure is : turn switch off to on wait 10 minutes ,until the Lock symbols disappears , repeat 3 times total

at the last time go from off to on to start , if first 10 minutes the symbol did not go away that means it is not taking the relearn

most of the time you need a new key & ignition cylinder will solve it , but testing is needed

if you get it scanned and get some fault codes just post them back here and i can help further

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well I did just what you told me to. Disconnect the battery hold wires together for a minute, separate, wait 15 sec. rehook battery, lock door, unlock door, get in. Noticed at this point all lights were off on dash. Turned key to on position waited 10 minutes, turned off waited better than 15 sec, did this 3 times. After the 1st time noticed that the Security light was on. It stayed on when the key was in the off position. After the 3rd time of waiting 15 sec tried to start and it did the start and die thing again.

If that did not work, it means we have issue with VATS security system, it is not reseting and one more part malfunctioned, it could be as simple as a hood switch or you need new vats module , have it scanner with dealer scanner and post fault codes here and i can help further

the most common issue with VATS system in the GM cars is you new key and new ignition cylinder ,dealer item only and do the relearn after install and that would solve it , but testing is needed to confirm

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Where is the theft deterant module located on this pickup? 98 GMC sierra SLE

hey how are you

it is Under the center of the Instrument panel

REMOVAL PROCEDURE CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Cautions and Notices. 1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 2. Remove the knee bolster. 3. Remove the instrument panel (IP) auxiliary storage compartment, if equipped. 4. Remove the remote CD player, if equipped. 5. Remove the ashtray. 6. Push on the clips behind the auxiliary storage compartment or the remote CD player. Pull down in order to release the module. 7. Disconnect the electrical connector. INSTALLATION PROCEDURE 1. Connect the electrical connector. 2. Slide in the rear tabs of the module. Push up in order to engage the module. 3. Install the ashtray. 4. Install the IP auxiliary storage compartment, if equipped. 5. Install the remote CD player, if equipped. 6. Install the knee bolster. CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Cautions and Notices. 7. Connect the negative battery cable. 8. Reprogram the EVO/Passlock(TM) module.

Thank You

Chad Farhat