kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

2003 Suburban - brake lights don't work. tail lights work,

2003 Suburban - brake lights don't work. tail lights work, back up lights work, turn signals work. Just the brake lights. Fuse is good. Replaced bulbs with new. still no brake lights.

Do you have a digital volt meter and a test light to do some testing with?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no phone call

What size engine do you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
5.3L V8 and it's 2001 Suburban 1500, not a 2003

Do you know where the brake light switch is on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No I do not.

The brake light switch will be under the dash, on the driver side. If you follow the brake pedal up you will see where the pedal arm mounts just above the steering column. On the front side of the mount you will see the brake light switch. It will have an orange wire and a white wire running to it. Check the orange wire with your digital volt meter set to dc volts, and see if you have 12 volts to the orange wire please.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay I will do that when I get home. If that is the problem I'll get the part and we're good. How do we follow up if that is not the problem?

That is just the start. I need to know what the voltage is to know where to go next.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay, signing off and going home to check out the wiring - will pick up this conversation later tonight if possible, or tomorrow.
Thanks for giving me a place to start looking.

I will be online for the next few hours, so I should be here when you get home and test the wires for me.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
With ig switch off, getting 4.5v to 5v. With ig switch on, getting 11.8v

How did you test it? Where did you have the test leads connected to?

The orange wire should have 12 volt to it even with the ignition switch off. Hold your black test lead to a good ground and test the orange wire with the red lead, with the ignition switch off please.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We tested it multiple times - red lead on orange wire, black lead to body of car, scratched paint to get to raw metal. still around 5v when ignition off. I also went ahead and replaced the switch with a new one from O'Reilly's - no difference - no brake lights.

Did you test it with the switch unplugged?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I had to unplug it to be able to get my lead in a place to obtain the voltage - tried it first just sticking the lead where the wire runs into the plug, but was unable to get any reading.

Do you have 12 volts to the white wire with the brake pedal depressed, and the ignition switch off or on? You will have to test it with the switch plugged up for this test.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I'll have to check tonight

ok let me know.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
FYI - I took the Suburban to my mechanic, I did not have time to hunt down the problem - turns out a fuse was missing, had dropped out or something - ??? - I looked at the slots in the manual, did not notice it myself. In any case, I thank you for your assistance and am glad to pay for the service you rendered. Until next time...

I am glad you where able to get the problem fixed and it was to to expensive. Than k you for letting me help you with this problem.