Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

I need to do my inner tie rod ends on my 2008 Impala LS. Do

Customer Question

I need to do my inner tie rod ends on my 2008 Impala LS. Do I need to lower the subframe to do this? I've seen instructions that state you must lower the subframe to get access, I think to make space for a tool to hold the rack when taking screwing off the tide rod end to make sure you don't damage the rack. Is there a way to do this without messing with the subframe?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

GM calls for removing the rack and pinion , trying to do it with the sub frame in place dose not give you the clearance you need. Your choices are either you remove the rack or drop the sub frame. See GMs steps in the link below.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What would you do, lower the frame, or remove the rack entirely?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 days ago.

I would lower the frame , you can usually get just enough clearance to get it off with out removing the rack