Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Just replaced fuel pump and now the car will start and run

Customer Question

Just replaced fuel pump and now the car will start and run for a few moments then dies. while running it has a rattling sound coming from the top of the engine. 2006 impala ltz 3.9l
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: just started afterreplacing the fuel pump. the sound almost sounds like timing chain but not as much metal clacking as just a weird rattle.
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am. well I haven't tried much at this point. i'm trying to find one of those engine supports incase I have to pull the timing chain cover off. be prepared you know.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. thank you.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 days ago.

Were you having timing related problems before the fuel pump was changed or is this the first time it has shown up?

How many times have you tired starting it?

How long will it run before it dies?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No timing related problems. I've fired it up about 4 or 5 times and it runs for about maybe 10 - 15 seconds then dies.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 days ago.

Can you hear the fuel pump buzz when you first turn the key to the run position?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm not really prepared to call right now I was just sort of fishing for an answer. Can I get back to you later today?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 days ago.

Sorry, I always forget to warn people about the automated call thing. That's Just Answer doing that, not me.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 days ago.

I'll be at the shop for another hour and a half, but then I won't get back on until this evening. Let me know if you can hear the buzz and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok then Ill get back as soon as I can. thanks Jared D
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 days ago.

Sounds good.

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 days ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Also, please don't forget to rate my service. Just Answer doesn't compensate us for our time if we don't get a positive rating.