Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

1990 Chevrolet Corvette sometimes starter engages sometimes

Customer Question

1990 Chevrolet Corvette sometimes starter engages sometimes it doesn't. Starter replaced same problem all cables new. Seems to happen after you drive it a while and cut it off for a few minutes. Early morning cranks fine.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

When it will not crank if you get under the car and the stater with a helper holding the key in the crank position are you getting battery voltage at the purple crank wire from the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no power
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Okay, are you working on a standard transmission or an automatic?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Standard and I check clutch switch and it was fine, I bypassed and same thing sometime crank sometime it will not
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Okay when you by passed the clutch switch did you get key on cranking power on the yellow/black wire at the switch ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
do not remember which wire but sometimes it had power and sometimes it did not
Expert:  Ron replied 8 days ago.

Okay, have a look at the enclosed wiring diagram to check the circuit. While the problem is occurring start with checking the yellow/black wire and if you find no power there then move to the stater enable relay on the left side of the dash and see if you have power into it on the yellow from the ignition switch and let me know what you find.