Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

Power steering is not working, It a 2007 hhr with electric

Customer Question

Power steering is not working
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: It a 2007 hhr with electric ps
JA: Are you fixing your HHR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing myself. Have not started anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 2 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer. Be right back.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 days ago.

Thanks for holding!

If the electronic power steering is not working, first, check the fuse labeled "EPS" in the under-hood fuse block. It's a 60a fuse. If the fuse is good, then more commonly, this will be a problem with the electric motor itself. The motor is located under the driver's side dash, mounted to the steering column. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires and for any signs of water intrusion. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the power steering motor. I've wrapped up the procedure to replace the motor into a PDF file, here:

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 day ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out with this? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 17 hours ago.

Customer: replied 14 hours ago.
I am installing the new motor now. Will report back once complete. Thank you
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 14 hours ago.

Ok. Sounds good. Make sure to double-check that fuse I mentioned as well. Especially if the vehicle had recently been jump-started, or used to jump another vehicle. Let me know how you make out!

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
I replaced both the fuse and the motor. Power steering message is still showing and power steering still not working. Next steps?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 12 hours ago.

Sorry for the delay. The next item to look into would be the steering control module. But, unfortunately, I can't seem to find a testing procedure for it. Check the fuse "EPS/STR WHL CNTRL" in the fuse block on the right side of the center console.

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
Replaced that also. Still nothing. Any other ideas? Thanks so much for the help so far
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 12 hours ago.

The only other thing I can think of, like I say, would be the control module. It's a little further up on the column from the motor. It has 3 electrical connectors- 2 black, 1 grey. Like I say though, no testing procedures. Which probably means the only way to test is with a high-end scan tool. No electrical info provided. I'd hate to see you spend the money without testing.

Customer: replied 12 hours ago.
How would I get it tested? Or what is procedure to change module? Does it have to be programmed and thus expensive?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 hours ago.

It would require a shop that has a scan-tool that can interact with the body control systems. It's a higher-end scan-tool. It does not need to be programmed. Unfortunately, no repair manual procedure on the replacement either. No idea why. It is a control module, so yes, it will be on the expensive side. This is why I said I hate to see you spend the money without proper testing.

Customer: replied 11 hours ago.
After replacing the fuses again the power steering message is gone but still no action with the actual power steering..
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 hours ago.

Drive it a bit. If the fuse pops and/or the dash light reappears, good chance the module is the culprit.