Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2006 Chevy cobalt 169000 mi 2.2 had a code that

Customer Question

Hello again I have a 2006 Chevy cobalt 169000 mi 2.2 had a code that required replacing the gas pedal TPS which I did I also replaced the throttle body gas pedal is a GM original TB is a reman from cardo car runs good now no ck eng light except I can't get it to idle lower then 1500 to 1800 RPM car is a stick shift not an automatic thanks again dom
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Good morning.

So to clarify, you replace the TPS and throttle body and not the idle won't come down?

Do you have a scan tool to perform an idle relearn?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a snap on modis ultra
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

That should do it. Did you attempt a throttle position relearn yet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Jarred thanks for takieing my call I tried it manually running the motor for 3 minutes then off fo1 then repeated the process I never used the scanner what should I do
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Your scan tool should have an option under tests or functional tests. Each scan tool is different, but it should walk you through it.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

If the scan tool doesn't do it you can always try the manual way. Disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for about 1 minute. Then have a helper hold the throttle plate closed by hand while you re-connect the battery cables. The throttle plate might try to open a little while holding it close, that's ok. Once the battery has been hooked up you can let it go. Then start the engine and see how it idles.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Jared does the key have to be on
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

When you disconnect the battery? No. The key should be off.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Also, please don't forget to rate my service. Just Answer doesn't compensate us for our time if we don't get a positive rating.