GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Sometimes within the first 10 miles of driving i have a

Customer Question

Sometimes within the first 10 miles of driving i have a squeal in the right front of 2007 impala 103,000 miles on it. Dealer said it was belt & replaced it but that was not it. After 10 miles doesn't happen again until car is parked for hours. Also never happens on sharp turns only when i slightly leave the play in the wheel.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: Have great power steering & fluid in up to the upper level
JA: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No took it to dealer for belt but now older but use to do work on cars
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It sounds like somethings rotating a pulley or hub but it is a high pitched sqeal
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David. Do you notice if it does it whether the ac is on or off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I

?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

It does it if heat or ac or nothing is on

ok. remove the belt. start the car and see if it does it just sitting there. if not then keep the belt off and spin each pulley by hand to see if one is binding a little or wobbling.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Dealer said they ck pulleys

Have they checked the harmonic balancer to see if its unbalanced? have they made sure the tensioner wasnt worn out?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Would either of those cause a squeal of the first 10 miles of driving & not again for the next 80?? Park car for 2 hrs & it happens all over again

how long does the squeal last each time it happens?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

3 to 5 seconds

when you say "only when i leave the play in the wheel" what does that mean?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Play in steering wheel is maybe 1/2" so way i go slightly rt or left driving straight down road turn steering wheel to the slightlest is when it happens

let me see if theres a way to get that slop out of the steering wheel. please allow me a few. thanks

Play in the steering wheel, often called a loose steering wheel, may be caused by loose ball joints, worn tie rod ends or a loose steering box. If those things check out, play in the steering wheel may be caused by worn C-bushings in the caster.

Sometimes, a physical inspection is all that is needed to find the cause of a loose steering wheel. Two people are needed to inspect the steering system and a thorough inspection can be made without having to lift the vehicle off the ground. In a well-tightened steering

While one person moves the wheel, another should be looking at the steering components. The person making the inspection should tighten up anything that appears to be loose. A common cause of a loose steering wheel is a loose steering box. It should be firmly fastened to the frame, although looseness caused by everyday driving is common. The play-adjusting screw at the top of the steering box may be loose but should never be tightened more than one turn. Over-tightening may jam the sector shaft into the piston, causing considerable damage to the steering box. Have them do this and I am sure they will find the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

David a 1/2" 1/4" left & rt of dead center to call toooooo much play ??? Are you serious ? I'm done here . You really don't know & just drawing straws thanks but no thanks.

Ive been a mechanic for 32 years and have seen this issue many times. Usually its the power steering pump, but you're not going to listen to that either. I dont draw straws. If you dont want your squealing fixed and dont want to take my advice. then let the dealers figure it out, i have nothing more for you. good luck too you. have a nice day