GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have an 03 2500 hd duramax no start problem. Cranks but no

Customer Question

I have an 03 2500 hd duramax no start problem. Cranks but no start. Primes ok, no fuel leaks around the top of the filter/pump area, opened drain on the bottom of the filter housing, a couple thimball fulls of fluid. Just will not turn over. Any other advice. Had a u1024 trouble code that cleared. Primer is hard after about 5 pumps, but loses that after cranking, then primes back hard after about 5 more pumps. Any ideas? Thanks, Sal
JA: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?
Customer: No, I see no leak anywhere, nor do I smell any fuel.
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself. About 40 miles to the nearest Chevy dealer. Ran fine last week. Fueled up, then parked in the garage. Now no start. Only needed about 1/4 tank to top it off. Don't think its a bad load of fuel.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I rarely drive the vehicle. Bought new in 03, now just turned 36,000 miles. Like new condition.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 days ago.

hi there, when you fueled you truck, did you fuel it in your usual location, usual pump? Did you fuel it yourself?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, not the usual location. Yes, fueled myself. Less than half tank.

Drain your fuel filter and see if there is only diesel in it. I suspect you may have got gas. That would explain why it is not starting.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Had hard start problem before. Cracked filter housing fixed by dealer.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Have opened the drain on the fuel filter. Unless the station had gas in their tank it should be diesel.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello,No one has called me as of this time. Monday, 10/17. I have found it necessary to have the vehicle towed to the dealership for repair. Please cancel the phone call request for this situation and credit my Credit Card if already charged. Thanks.