Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2005 chevy trailblazer and my mechanic thought

I have a 2005 chevy trailblazer and my mechanic thought starter was bad but it turns out that the solenoid is bad. The car won't start so he wants to do something with the relay. Is that a good solution

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

was the bad starter solenoid changed yet ?

what does he want to do with the relay ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No solenoid changed. He says he wants to jump the relay so the car starts

if the solenoid on the starter is bad jumping the relay should not make it start

if it will start up by jumping the relay then the relay could be bad or the ignition switch possibly

if the solenoid is bad the starter needs to be changed to correct this problem

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The starter is good. He tested it. So then the ignition switch is bad i guess. I can't even shift the car to neutral even if i turn the key and put the brake on

are you sure the battery and the battery cables are clean and tight ? and the battery was tested for cold cranking amps ?

if the starter tested good then the solenoid should be good

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cables are clean and the battery is new and was tested and it is good

here is the schematic of it be sure the IGN A fuse is good and the crank fuse shows 12 volts when holding the key to crank

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. We will lokk at it tomorrow and see. But he tested the fuses and they were all good, so we are quite baffled

also see if you pull that relay out if one terminal in the box the relay plugs into shows 12 volts then when you hold the key to crank does another terminal show 12 volts when its held to crank position ?

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry to bother you again but my mechanic came by today and we checked the fuse box again and he tested the starter relay and there was absolutely no power to it and he tested the the other fuses and they were good. We even tested it with the key in the on and start position but nothing happened. So before i bring it to where i purchased it i would like to know what i can do

if there is power to the other fuses but NOT any of those terminals in that fuse box for the relay there is an internal failure inside that fuse box as at least one terminal should be 12 volts all the time and it gets its 12 volts internally inside the fuse box from that big power wire bolted to the under hood fuse box if the big wire and stud that wire is bolted to shows 12 volts and nothing at any terminal for the relay the fuse box is bad

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so i will have to bring it to where a bought it and have them fix it. I know it will cost me a small fortune.

if they confirm this when testing usually a used one can be purchased online or used at the local junk / salvage yard

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thabk you. You definitely have been a lot of help. I do appreciate it.

anytime

dont forget to rate us here

let me know how it goes.you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here

dont forget to rate us here