sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Keyless entry problem, Yes. Just had st the dealer. They

Customer Question

Keyless entry problem
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes. Just had st the dealer. They tried a new fob. My 2001 silverado will not let me program. They said it might be the bcm. Also said after market radio or plow may be an issue. I was just doing a google search and came across problems with the keyless entry receiver.
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am trying to fix myself. The dealer I had it at does not seem to want to listen.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have three. New key fobs now. All working. I had this problem before changing the factory radio. And worked before with the plow. Could it just be the receiver?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I doubt that the body controller is the issue, and it definitely won't be related to the radio or plow. The keyless entry receiver is what receives the signal from the key fobs and is what they are programmed to. The receiver then sends a signal to the body controller and it operates the door locks. If the fobs cannot be programmed then it's going to be a receiver issue. If they actually did program but there was a communication issue between the receiver and BCM and the locks didn't work then the BCM could be a possibility.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That was the hunch I had also. Is there a way to test the receiver or, reset it? I know the process to program the keyfobs via key cycle and and hold door lock method. Now when I do this the truck will not cycle the door locks to begin the learning process. Is there anything I am missing or, need to do to continue? Should I change receiver module?

I was assuming the dealer tried to program the keys using a scan tool. Was that the case?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My wife had it at the dealer. She said they did not move it to any machines. But I am not certain that they did not

A scan tool would be carried by hand to where it was being used. A scan tool to check for fault codes and monitor data would be needed to diagnose the issue and determine whether the receiver was the cause. If the receiver has failed it may not enter programming mode.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have pretty good actron scanner. I'll look to see if I can check the receiver. Do you know what the output of the receiver should be with a meter?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 days ago.

If it's something from Actron it's probably a code reader rather than a scan tool. An actual scan tool starts at about $2,000 for an entry level unit. Signal from the receiver is something that needs to be looked at with a scan tool rather than a voltmeter. It sends messages over the bus network.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Well then it over my head. Thanks for the help.
You're welcome and good luck with it!
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have one last qeuestion. Let me rephrase the way I asked. Using the gm programming with key cycle and unlock button. The truck does not cycle the door locks like it is supposed to. Would you still say it is most likely not the bcm? Also as far as the scanner is that a dealer only thing or would any mechanic with that type of scanner work.

The problem is most likely not the BCM.

Many shops would have a scan tool capable of diagnosing the issue but not all. If you were considering an independent shop it would be best to call ahead and see if they are willing and capable of diagnosing the issue.