Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt, with a bad cylinder. We took the

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt, with a bad cylinder. We took the car to good guys auto repair, and they repaired everything. But, they said that the one of the engine cylinder (1) was run at about 150 and the others ( 2, 3, and 4 ) were 170. They informed us that it would be about $3,000 to replace the entire engine. And until the cylinder is replaced the check engine light would stay ON. We can't pass a smog check and we need good advice. Can you help us, we our issues?
Thank you.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 14 days ago.

Can you explain the repairs that were done on the car?
Where you posted "they repaired everything?"

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
EVAC and recharge a/c system
Recycled R-134A Freon per oz. AIR cond. Labor
Electrical Diagnostic
High side pressure: 200
Low side pressure: 30
Outlet Temperature: 40
Found 3 CODES: PO128, PO300, PO442
Misfire Codes, THERMOSTAT code and gasket code
Rec replace thermostat and gasket and flush, also rec replace plugs and compression test.
Cyclinder 1 - 150
Cyclinder 2 - 170
Cyclinder 3 - 170
Cyclinder 4 - 170Replace or get another car? Helpful advice.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for all the info.

Get another opinion. I checked on the engine compression specs. This car will run on 100 psi compression and according to GM there is only a problem when one cylinder is 70% less compression then the highest cylinder.

You are no where close here. If it's still 150 psi then it should not be the cause of the misfire. You may have a leaking intake manifold gasket, bad fuel injector or some type of electrical problem.

What I would do is have another shop look at the car. Don't tell them what the first shop found, let them find it on their own. If they tell you it's a compression issue, then it's probably time to dump the car. Unless you like it enough to put the money in it and drive it for another couple of years.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 12 days ago.

I haven't heard back from you and wondered if you need more help with this?