George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

I have a 02 trail blaser runs and drives ok but there is a

Customer Question

Hi i have a 02 trail blaser runs and drives ok but there is a code, p1345 i replace cam position sensor and camshaft valve actuator solenoid. Erase code and it comes back couple min later.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 8 days ago.

Hello I will help,

The only other thing in the procedure is to ensure the solenoid has power and a good connection to the computer and that the balancer is tight on the crankshaft.

Have you done those tests and do you understand what the code means?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can u tell me steps how to check it and esplain alittle. Thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 8 days ago.

The code is for the cam sensor signal and the crank sensor signal not lining up. It might be that the cam actuator does not move the camshaft or that the cam chain is stretched. The computer may not be controlling the cam solenoid if the wire is broken.

The check is to be sure you have power to the solenoid with the key on and then continuity between the solenoid connector and the computer.

On the crankshaft the balancer might have loosened or was not torqued properly causing vibrations in the crankshaft. The bolt has to be tight and torqued properly. There are two possible balancers and the second design with new oil seal should be installed

Any work done on the engine lately? How many miles on it?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No work done on it latelly!! Has 140k
Expert:  George H. replied 8 days ago.

OK then you need to check the cam vs. the crank signals for timing.

You replaced the cam solenoid but did you confirm that it operates and that you have power to it?

What test equipment do you have? Scantool that shows data? DVOM?

Maybe an oscilloscope?

Expert:  George H. replied 8 days ago.

I don't know if you have seen this video

click here

Expert:  George H. replied 8 days ago.

Control of the Cam Phaser Actuator solenoid is inhibited when a P0016 (04 Model Year) or P1345 (02 - 03 Model Year) DTC is stored.

• If this DTC started after recent internal engine repairs, inspect for proper engine mechanical timing. With the camshaft cover removed and the #1 cylinder at top dead center, make sure that the darkened chain links are lined up with the alignment marks on the exhaust and intake cam sprockets. At this point, J44221 should fit over the rear cam flats and the word Delphi (on the front of the Cam Phaser Actuator sprocket) should be parallel with the front edge of the cylinder head. Note: It may take up to 14 crankshaft revolutions before all timing alignment marks line up with each other.

• Engines built after 2/5/01 include a thin friction washer (P/N 12573950) between the dampener and the crank gear and the torque specification was increased to 110 ft-lbs plus 180 degrees to prevent crankshaft gear and alignment pin damage. If there is any history of the crank dampener bolt ever being loose, the crankshaft gear and alignment pin may be damaged, which can cause these DTCs.

• If a P0016 or P1345 is resetting without any engine performance concerns but the SI diagnostics and the above information did not isolate a cause for the DTC, replace the Cam Phaser Actuator sprocket.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I would be pulling the dampener and checking the washer, if there is any hint that the dampener is loose replace it with the new style after installing the new style oil seal in the front cover