Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's

My car has a rubbing noise. It is not the tires.When it

Customer Question

My car has a rubbing noise. It is not the tires.When it rolls you can hear a womp womp noise like rubbing and the car will slow down and stop almost like the breaks are on. No one can find the problem. It is very annoying. I reversed out of my driveway , there was a dip at the end of the driveway and the bottom of the car hit it. Since then there was a loud noise, now it is still there just not as loud. What could it be?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

you stated that no one can find the problem, can you tell me what was looked at or replaced for the issue? that way i dont go over the same things?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
wheel bearings, breaks, rotors, tires.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

those were all inspected or changed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
new breaks and rotors. back wheels and one front wheel bearings cleaned and replaced. Noise is still there. I know it is hard to diagnose a car without seeing it, but I was just wondering if you might have an idea as to what It could be?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

ok so let me ask a few questions, thanks for your reply and understanding that it can be difficult to diagnose a noise but i can share my personal experience at least and hope it opens a new path for diagnosis.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.
  1. does the noise increase with speed?
  2. does the noise change when up to speed and turning left or right?
  3. if the noise happens at low speed does the steering wheel shake or does the car wobble itself
  4. does the noise change when pressing the brakes?
  5. does the noise change when gently applying the parking brake while at a slow roll?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
1. yes
5. dont know haven tried the parking brake. You might be getting warmer!
you can notice it the most when the car is rolling in neutral. It does not go away when in drive. It is a womp womp noise sounds like in the front of the car drivers side. It will bring the car to a stop. So maybe it has something to do with the parking brake.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

ok so here is why i asked

1. tires or wheel bearings
  2. wheel bearings
  3. bent wheel or bent wheel bearing
  4. warped rotors or drums if have rear drums which i dont think you have
  5. has the ability to slow the car but will also cause a hot smell

so you did not say the tires were changed, were the tires rotated? i would rotate them front to rear and see if the noise changes but it would not coincide with slowing the car which is the odd part UNLESS the tire was low on air and noone caught that.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
brand new tires and the have been rotated several times, NOT the TIRES
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok well thanks
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

oh i must have missed that in the story that is why i asked,

ok thin*****, *****t give up on me yet, i am great at these.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

so the noise does get louder with speed?

do you feel the noise or just hear it?

like i mean is it similar to driving over the rumble strips in the road?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No , i hear it. It originally got louder when it first happened. Now with speed it is just faster. It is like , if you had a playing card on a bike to sound like and engine it gets a little louder because of the speed of the wheel. I think you were probably on to something with the break. IT rubs like a break is on but the isn't any smell or heat.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

ok card in the spoke is a good term.

here is a test you can do to locate the area of the noise, when driving roll down one window at a time, if its in the left front the noise will get louder when the left front window is open, and same with the rest, or you sit in different spots in the car when driving to see if the noise is loudest from drivers seat , that will narrow the noise from 4 possible places to just 1 . then,

since its rotational, it will be limited to a few things outside of the weird out of this world type scenario,

things that rotate when driving are,

1. wheel bearings
  2. wheels and tires
  3. cv axles
  4. brake rotors or drums

so that is it, honestly if you had it to a shop and they can not find the consistent noise, that tells me you need to go to another shop, look how many ideas i have thrown out to you and i am no where near the car.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I know i have been to two dealerships and two mechanic shops.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

wow. do you know if they can get the noise to happen up in the air? like while the car is on the rack ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it does and yes they have.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

where do you live around i feel like i should come fix it myself lol.