Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Is this a payment / answer type service? GMC 1996 Suburban

Customer Question

Good afternoon.... is this a payment / answer type service?
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: GMC 1996 Suburban C1500 5.7 Vortex . When I turn the key the engine doesn't start. Makes no sound at all. I have power to everything(windows, lights, radio etc.) Then, sometime later in the day, it starts right up as if nothing happens. this has happened maybe three times in the last two weeks. what could be the problem and where do start to fix it. I replaced the starter about 6 months ago.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the steering wheel with no problem. the key doesn't appear worn.
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive checked the wiring from the starter to the battery, there doesn't seem to a problem. I was thinking of removing the starter and reseating it and replacing the Neg battery cable. and replacing the spark plugs and wires.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is this internet information going to cost me, before we go any further?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chevy Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: how much is his information going to cost
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok lets try.....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

the best way to approach this is to use a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light and the next time this happens be ready to catch it in the act by testing. Do you have either of those tools?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Ok, try to start it right now. Does it crank over?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When using the voltmeter, actually what areas am I supposed to be testing? im currently not with the vehicle
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

If not you will have to wait until it acts up again, but when it does, hook up the voltmeter or 12 volt test light, to that maxi fuse 6 in the underhood relay center and see if it is getting battery voltage. If not and you can actually check this now, see if that junction box battery stud is tight. If when it acts up you do have voltage at that maxi fuse 6, then move the positive test lead to the starter relay socket so you will have to remove the starter relay and test the 4 terminals in the socket but first, listen or better yet feel by putting your fingertips on the relay and feel if it clicks when the key is turned to start.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

If it doesn't even click the problem could be with the neutral switch or clutch switch connections being loose or the switch beginning to go bad. If the relay does click and you have power at tat maxi fuse 6, just replace the starter relay and see if that problem ever come back.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

But what I would do for now, is check that junction box battery stud connection for being loose, check the connections at either the neutral switch/clutch switch and if all ok, just install a new starter relay for now and hope it don't come back, other than that you are going to have to wait unless of course if you would rather wiggle all of those connections I mentioned and see if you can get the problem to occur right now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

id that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.