GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Buying a 1990 ss 454 truck can i determine if its

Customer Question

buying a 1990 ss 454 truck can i determine if its a legit ss or a clone?
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you give me your VIN# so I can try and run it for Option Codes?

Is there a Option Sticker in the glove box?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i dont have the vin number--i checked it yesterday to verify it was a 454 and a 1990 but didnt copy it down.i think the dash was changed because of the tach so wondering if the vin is attached to the dash or the truck body?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the title says 1 owner 48000 miles the dash reads 24000 miles

Is this from a private party or a Used Car Dealer?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
car dealer that bought truck at auction. i did look at title
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the truck went at auction for $7000--accidently found the auction receipt when i test drove it--he wants 8500

There should be paperwork for the mileage difference, that sounds illegal to have a lower mileage on the vehicle than whats on the title.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i can see that someone might want the 91 dash pod with the tach in it instead of the 90 without tach--which would explain why it was changed and the milage difference reading--but when the dash was changed was the vin plate attached to the dash or is vin plate attached to the body?everything i found said 1990 did not have tach in dash.was there a 1990 chevy 1500 with the 454 other than the ss?

They probably only changed the cluster and not the complete dash.

In 1990, Chevrolet introduced a high-performance variant of the GMT400 under the Super Sport emblem called the 454SS. It was available only as a 2WD half-ton regular cab short box in Onyx Black only with a garnet red interior. The 454SS was powered by a 454 cu in (7.4 L) V8 producing 230 hp and 385 lb·ft . A 3-speed automatic transmission (Turbo Hydra-Matic 400) and 3.73 rear axle ratio added to the truck's performance. The axle itself is unique, being a 14-bolt semi-floating unit which uses standard Chevrolet 5 on 5-inch wheels—the only factory-produced 14-bolt axle with such a wheel bolt pattern. The suspension was also upgraded with 32 mm Bilstein gas-filled shock absorbers, a 32 mm front stabilizer bar, and 12.7:1 fast-ratio steering gear assembly.
Unique exterior features included a front air dam with fog lights, special rims, decals displaying "454SS" on the bed sides, red trim emblems, and black painted grille, bumpers, and mirrors. The interior was also unique with a special plush Garnet Red cloth with black trim, high-back reclining sport bucket seats, and center console.